Thursday, June 17, 2010

How About Paying off Our Debt...

. reduce the tax and fee burden on the citizens

. put more money in my pocket and let me decide which "charities", like the following, I will support 

. improve core services

If I had a billion dollars...

I’d buy your loooovvvveee….
Couldn’t help myself.
But seriously, as the G20 descends upon us, I think we are all emerging from our collective slumber, shaking our heads and thinking: how the hell did that happen?!
What would you do with a billion dollars? Could you think of a few better ways to spend the billion dollars that our great federal government (which I remind you does not have the support of the majority of the voters in our fine country) than on security and food, fake lakes and Muskoka chairs for reporters, and other odds and ends for a meeting that lasts a mere two days?
That’s -- let me get out my calculator -- $500-million a day. Wow. A nice chunk of change.
If I were to dream a little dream of a City – let’s say Toronto— and how it could be made more livable, where would I spend $1 billion?
This makes for a fun party game. I have tried it out on some friends over the last few days and here are some of the ideas they came up with (thank you friends):
- Put farmers market stands near subway and Go stops
- Spend it on bike lanes with actual barriers to cars.
- Put it into the construction of more affordable housing
- Continue the ecoEnergy home retrofit program
- Create more non-profit, public childcare spaces
- Send some kids who can’t afford to summer in Muskoka to Muskoka to swim in some real lakes
Or maybe George Smitherman could pay back the billion-something dollars lost in the e-health fiasco, and give a boost to Transit City. But don’t even think about letting him run it.
Okay, I’m feeling a little cheeky today. But what the hell.
The best I’ve heard yet is the Pantalone campaign’s response: The City could lend the money to the province so they could live up to their obligations on Transit City.
Clean and easy as a dip in an Ontario lake. A real one. I hear we have a few.
About Marit Stiles

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive