Friday, February 28, 2014

CLASSIC STORY...

QUESTION: ARE ALL MUNICIPAL/PROVINCIAL VEHICLES TESTED...

Taken to the Drive Cleaners

So I failed my drive clean emission test for the 1st time on Monday. I drive an econo-box, it's a 2005, great on gas and runs like a top, having been well maintained - as in never missing a scheduled maintenance or oil change.
1st Drive Clean Test. $40.00 Bucks.

2nd Drive Clean Test. $40.00 Bucks - confirming results of the first.
Diagnostic Fee - $162.00 Bucks

Verdict - Replacement of Canister VSV component required - (whatever the hell that is, some kind of charcoal filter/valve that helps optimize the air/fuel mix)  but it can only be replaced with a "Full Canister" for a small fee of $563.00 Bucks...

I declined to have the "Problem" fixed and opted for a conditional pass as allowed under the Drive Clean program because the amount for repairs is over the $450.00 maximum.
Now what was the nature of the problem?

Was it a safety issue? No.
Did it effect engine life, as in added wear and tear? No.
Did it affect performance? No.
Did it effect fuel efficiency? Possibly, but only to a minor extent.

What did it cost me to find out my car is essentially fine and I can still drive? $242.00 Bucks.

NB. The Canister VSV failure was a known bug for this model car, but was never classed as "recallable" as it wasn't a safety issue. My car has been serviced by the same dealership exclusively from day one and they never felt the need to recommend a repair. The only reason I got burned this time around was the change to the Drive Clean program mandating a computer diagnostic versus a standard emissions test.
>> 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive