Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Couriers/Cyclists Have Picked The Wrong Martyr For Their Cause

...blood alcohol twice the legal limit, a number of bike rage rage incidents, etc.

Cyclist had tough childhood

Alcohol ruined Darcy Allan Sheppard’s life from his first breath until his last.

Vigil held in memory of bike courier Darcy Allen Sheppard

Jeremy Nusinowitz
Dozens of cyclists showed up late Tuesday afternoon to a memorial for Darcy Allen Sheppard, a bike courier killed in an incident along Bloor Street last August.
The Toronto Bike Messenger Association (TOBMA) hosted the vigil in Sheppard’s memory on Bloor Street by Avenue Road, where Sheppard died last August in an incident with a vehicle driven by former Ontario Attorney General, Michael Bryant.
A bike that's been painted white sits at the scene where Sheppard was killed. It’s a traditional ghost bike memorial. Dozens of Sheppard's friends and former colleagues gathered at the ghost bike after hearing charges against Bryant had been dropped.
Martin is an avid rider who attended the memorial and is frustrated over the war between vehicles and cyclists in Toronto. With the charges against Bryant having been dropped Martin says the justice system has sent a clear message to cyclists.
“If you ride your bike on the streets of Toronto you don’t stand a chance,” said Martin.
“If I get hit by a car no cop is going to take my side, and if I’m down on the ground dead, I have no story to tell.”
Susan showed up to the memorial as someone who knows all too well the potential dangers cyclists can run into.
“I’m not a courier and I’m not a very militant person, but I do ride a bike and I was hit by a car about four years ago and the driver was not charged,” said Susan.
“My heart just breaks because every single one of these cyclists can be killed and can be damaged.”

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive