Sunday, September 28, 2008

Nature Created Conditions Which Eliminated Dinosaurs

And that is occurring again except the dinosaurs of today are many of the traditional unions. With a global economy and the loss of competitiveness unions are seeing shrinking membership and the only purpose of unions is to protect marginal workers.

Holding the line on scabs

Dear Ms. Communicate,

I am a radical leftist and although I am only a seasonal (proud, public, unionized) worker and a full-time student the rest of the time, like most rabble-readers I am a fervent supporter of labour.

I had heard through a "comrade" that his place of work (a large, national food retail chain) will very likely be going on strike very soon, and I will probably be out with him and some fellow comrades doing some strike support in my spare time. There is a good chance that this strike will be a very ugly one. I had asked another very close friend who works there about the situation, and to my surprise he told me he was planning on scabbing as he will get paid more during the strike. He isn't a very political guy, but I was very shocked that he would say something like that.

My initial reaction was to call him a few not very nice things. I am wondering if I should do anything and what I should do to try to talk him out of scabbing, as it is a very immoral act and it will be harming some of my other friends who are doing the right thing and staying out.

union guy

Dear union guy,

Scabs suck.

For less-knowledgeable readers, here are the reasons why: scabs undermine strikes by working jobs held by striking unionized workers, in the service of their own self-interest. Unions function most effectively when workers stick together. Nobody views a strike as anything but a last resort, and it’s tough, I’ve been there. Strikes have a better chance of ending sooner, with optimal outcomes for the workers, if everyone supports the strike.

Yes, do try to talk him out of scabbing. Explain the basics if he doesn’t already know them, and remind him that the wages he currently earns are a result of past struggles of union workers. You say he’s a “very close friend” which to me means you’re able to talk about life’s difficulties together. If he doesn’t want to walk the line/picket, can you suggest that all he needs to do is stay home, NOT cross the picket line to work? Try to get him to understand that his choice doesn’t only affect him, but everyone who’s chosen to strike.

The sad reality is that there are some unionized workers who are not that pro-union. This reality must be faced, and at times like job action is when they often come to the forefront and reveal themselves. I believe it’s possible for you to change his mind, but not probable. (See past Ms .C. columns on that issue.)

The fact that he told you his plans means he’s already thought about it, and has investigated what it would mean to scab. He may have made up his mind already. For that, he might be beyond reaching, but it’s always worth a try.

Ms. C.



No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive