Thursday, November 25, 2010

Anoth Green Saviour Shows Their Prioritis...

November 25, 2010

Y2Kyoto: Scene From A David Suzuki Book Signing

On Nov. 20 Jenn Carson went to see David Suzuki speak in Moncton;

I was hoping to ask him during the question period that normally follows these types of talks for advice on how to help me promote environmentalism to my group of largely apathetic students at Hampton High School, where I am the librarian.

Unfortunately, there was no question period. Directly following Dr. Suzuki's speech, where he emphatically urged the audience to form strong interpersonal connections with their neighbours, family and local ecology, there was a book signing. I waited until the line was gone before I approached. I did not purchase any books, since I either have them at home, or have read them through our public library service. There was only one other man at the table, talking about a Prius, and he stopped and said he should go since I was waiting. Dr. Suzuki said it was alright since there was "no one there."

I assumed since he was 75, perhaps his eyesight was poor and he did not see me. When the man left, I approached Dr. Suzuki.
He looked up and said, "book?" I said I didn't have one but I wanted to ask him a question. He said, "I don't have time for that," and waved me away like a king dismissing a commoner.

There was absolutely no one else around the table except the security guards.

Then he shouted out, "Books! Books!" and continued waving me out of the way. There was no sign indicating no questions were allowed.

Only minutes before he had been espousing the value of slowing down and making time for each other and he didn't even have the decency to say, "I'm sorry, I'm tired . . . or I'm not allowed to answer questions . . ."

Instead here I was, an educator and great promoter of his books, looking for help with the generation he claimed was most important, but because I was not spending money (other than the $45 I spent to hear him lecture), I was waved off.

I used to be proud to call Dr. Suzuki one of my heroes, and now I can see that he is a hypocrite.

I am in no way turned off the environmental causes I have always believed in, simply disappointed to have to tell my students, once again, that celebrity and integrity seem to be mutually exclusive.

Jenn Carson,
Hampton

Welcome to the club, Jenn!

ht Robert in Calgary

Posted by Kate

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive