Sunday, May 17, 2009

Justice?

Feds angry killer freed

CALGARY -- The release of a double-murderer onto city streets occurred despite the contention of the federal government that the convicted killer should remain in custody, immigration officials said yesterday.

Elvir Pobric, who escaped a Bosnian prison more than 10 years ago and hid as a fugitive in Canada, was released last week, days after his detention review hearing was closed to the public.

The fact Immigration and Refugee Board adjudicator Lee Ann King made the decision to release Pobric pending another hearing, without offering any reasons, has left politicians and police asking questions.

"First, while the IRB operates independently of the government, we are concerned this detention hearing was decided in private as well as the secrecy surrounding the hearings and the decision, " said Alykhan Velshi, spokesman for Immigration Minister Jason Kenney.

"I would note the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act permits such reviews to be held in public when it is appropriate to do so".

"I note as well the government had strongly argued Pobrics detention should be maintained."

Police Chief Rick Hanson would not elaborate on the case but said reports of the convicted killer's release are concerning.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive