Friday, May 30, 2014

Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou: Amazing life — lousy poetry, prose

Mark Steyn writes about Maya Angelou:
One reason why she was easy to parody (“The ebony fighter awakens, dabbled with the dewy beads of morn”, from “The Simpsons”) is because she spent four decades trembling on the brink of self-parody, and occasionally plunging in head-first. I loved all those old African proverbs, and I would like to think they were all cooked up by an enterprising intern working round the clock in her basement. How many old African proverbs are out there? Well, as the old African proverb on page 70 of Even The Stars Get Lonesome put it: “Sea never dry.”
Come on: I’m a better poet than Maya Angelou.

Her resilience, voice and overall persona made her famous, not her writing ability.
Posted in Kathy Shaidle

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive