Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Question For Joe Mihevic

If we have the resources to clear the snow from those properties not in compliance with the bylaw why do we still have piles of snow at the end of streets, snowbanks on major thoroughfares, snowbanks at TTC stops, etc.

When Toronto's sidewalks turn into ice rinks, it doesn't take long for city council to get a brain freeze

It's like a skating rink out there on Toronto sidewalks.

No, really, I am not kidding.

You can skate on many of them. I did yesterday.

To be honest, I felt much safer doing that than walking. It was pure ice and for that you need skates. Watch my video on torontosun.com and you will see for yourself. I even did a little stick-handling with a puck -- but not as much stick-handling as some on city council seem to be doing on this issue.

For me it's a classic case of rink rage.

Once again some of our out-of-touch city councillors huffing and puffing about trying to fine people for not shovelling their sidewalks were nowhere to be found to put a little salt or sand down to protect our children or seniors from being severely hurt.

The truth is, no matter the politics, in many areas the sidewalks are treacherous. Time bombs, actually. I personally saw six people slip and fall on sidewalks yesterday. And I almost fell once myself.

"It happened to me too," said Justin Van Dette, an assistant to Councillor John Parker at city hall. "I was just walking along St. Clair when I slipped. Luckily I landed on my brief case."

PAKING TICKET SYSTEM

Of course, if many down at city hall had it their way they'd not only blame you, but also try to fine you too. Seriously!

"My hope is that we can find a legal way to do this on a more proactive basis," Councillor Joe Mihevc said in a Saturday Toronto Sun story by Zen Ruryk, adding he would like to see "some system similar to parking tickets" implemented.

The great tax collector, Mihevc was said to be "at a conference in Ottawa" yesterday and did not return my call. I don't think Ottawa is far enough away for that to be excusable, but maybe he can get some tips at the Rideau Canal on how to better maintain a skating rink because there are lots around our city right now.

Full story

Icy sidewalks plague city

Emily Mathieu
Feb. 12, 2008

Bitter or biting, frigid or frosty, nipping or numbing, it doesn't matter how...

Voters Speak Out......

Councillor Joe Mihevc wants to enforce a city bylaw that would fine homeowners for not clearing the snow from their sidewalks. Sounds reasonable, but I'd like to introduce a new counter-bylaw that allows me to fine the city.

My street is routinely the last to receive snow-removal service – often more than 24 hours after the original snowfall. When the plow does arrive, the service leaves much to be desired. For example, the plow has broken landscaping stones off the end of my driveway three years running; on Friday, the plow ran over my green bin and broke off the lid; the sidewalk plow routinely tears up the lawn on both sides of the sidewalk; and navigating the street corners demands the agility of a mountain goat.

I suspect that I speak for many reasonable people who really don't mind paying taxes. What I do mind is paying for substandard service.

Brad Sinclair, Toronto

Has Councillor Joe Mihevc taken a walk lately in front of Nathan Phillips Square and Old City Hall? My wife and I, who are seniors, nearly fell on the ice, snow and slush on the sidewalks in front of these two shrines. The conditions we had to endure while making our way to Yonge St. were disgusting.

Why doesn't the city hire those street kids who bother hard-working people for money to clear snow from in front of these two buildings and at intersections downtown, where you have to be an athlete to jump over the slush?

Surely the city can afford to hire these individuals for minimum wage to perform this service, and if necessary councillors could give up one of their perks.

Mel Lastman, please come back. All is forgiven.

Kenneth Foster, Toronto

In light of Councillor Joe Mihevc's proposal on snow removal, I presume he agrees that it would only be fair that there be a corresponding obligation on the part of the city to provide, on a timely basis, the services we pay for with our taxes.

Since my street remained unplowed four days after the last storm, I'll look forward to receiving a big rebate on my next tax bill.

Stephen Van Houten, Toronto

The call by Councillor Joe Mihevc, whose ward I live in, for quick fines and action against homeowners who don't quickly clear snow and ice from their sidewalks is ridiculous, considering his own ward is filled with residential streets that are a mess of snow and slush.

I'd love to suggest that the City of Toronto consider a sidewalk-clearing program, but I think it should first work on improving its residential road-clearing schedule.

Lori Murphy, Toronto



No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive