Saturday, November 25, 2006

Boy Oh Boy! A Fine Example Of People Protecting Their Ass

And not wanting to be labelled homophobic! I am not a sports "fan" so the sexual preference of athletes is a non-issue to me. My remote allows me to decide what I watch on tv so that also is not an issue. BTW I didn't attend the gay games in Montreal but then I don't attend Leaf games either.

Voices: Gay Leaf comedy
Nov. 24, 2006. 04:07 PM

We asked you if you thought a comedy about a gay Leaf will help gay athletes gain acceptance? Here's what you had to say.

I think it's great this movie is being made and I'm glad it's about an iconic Canadian team in an iconic Canadian sport. We know from the Dan Woog book "Jocks" that there is a real-life person from small-town Canada who's won at least one Stanley Cup and has a male life-partner in the NHL (he remained anonymous in the interview for Woog's book). This might help someone in this player's position to come out, even if it was only after his on-ice career was over.
Richard Evans, Cornwall

What's the big deal about homosexuality in professional sports? Last time I checked this was Canada in the 21st century. If a Leaf player can help Toronto get the Stanley Cup who cares if he is gay or not. Why is this even an issue?
Carlos Patricio, Toronto

I think it's a small step in an issue that is very large and unspoken. Bravo to writer Sean Reycraft for making the push.
Jackson Main, Toronto

Although it would be a wonderful thing to see diversity acceptance in sports and other societal and contexual scenerios, the comedy approach is kind of old and borders on a humour not unlike the racially based portrayal of blacks in former years, thus the humour contributes to systematically accepted oppression of those minority groups rather than embracing these individuals in a positive light on the merits of their talent and skill. It would be best to portray gays and other monorities in more realistic roles without special attention being focussed on their gender, sexual orientation and\or cultural or social conditions.
Sheila McKillop, Sudbury

Yes. As long as what's funny isn't simply the fact that the athlete is gay. However, a comedy that examines the irony of being gay within the ultra-macho framework of pro sports could be very illuminating and entertaining. I'd probably go see it.
Bryn Swan, Kingston

No I don't and why would it. It is an issue that has been resolved, so let's move on in life, sports or no sports. I am tired of it being used as a headline grabber or to sell something.
Robert Reeson, Pontypool

Is this even an issue? Why is this even a concern for the people of Toronto in this day and age?
Andrea Costantini, Toronto

What is this? The 1950s? Who cares what an athlete's sexual orientation is? I'm not paying to watch them have sex.
Andrew Spencer, Toronto

This comedy may not help gay athletes gain acceptance per se, but it will raise people's consciousness to the fact they do exist. And in greater numbers than one might think.
Robin Kelly, Toronto

Personally, I'm tired of this gay fad. We get it already; there are gay athletes, gay businessmen, gay cowboys and on and on. I think the entertainment industry is playing this up for the shock value that is still left from literature and movies that first introduced us to the possibility that homosexuals and lesbians are a part of our society.
Kyle Kowalenko, Toronto

The real problem is men, especially athletic men or “jocks,”who believe that associating with gay men somehow questions their masculinity/sexuality. Until that changes, nothing will help gay athletes. In fact, I fear that a comedy will likely just perpetuate gay stereotypes.
Rishi Agarwal, Oakville

Who cares? As long as they win the Stanley Cup one day!
Steven Hammond, Markham

No, I don't think a movie can do that on its own. It takes a long time for intolerance to fade away. If generation after generation is being taught to be intolerant, then it'll never go away.
Peter M., Toronto

Why is this news? I mean with everything else going on in the world, why does this get prominent space?
Enis Bayrisal, Toronto

No. The segment of society that has already accepted gay athletes will readily view the comedy and enjoy it. The others will not even make the attempt.
David Boyle, Toronto

It won't change the mind of anyone who isn't already accepting. The movie's producer has already described the son character as "prancing" and a "budding queen," so you'll have to forgive me if I don't foresee a horde of homophobes suddenly coming to their senses. Gay athletes will gain acceptance when more of them come out and are seen as great athletes, great people and great role models.
Lauren Ferris, Toronto

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive