Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Another Example Of Good Intentions Run Amok?

Rent control means less affordable housing for the poor

Over the weekend, I got a healthy dose of free-market thinking at the Acton Institute's summer Acton University. Lord Brian Griffiths of Goldman-Sachs (and close advisor to Maggie Thatcher) gave a great talk about the heroic and moral calling of business. This I already knew, but it was nice to be reminded. But one thing that I did not know was what Jay Richards, author of the forthcoming Christian Case for Capitalism, pointed out about good intentions and their bad consequences. It seems that a study done of the largest cities in the U.S. (and I can't verify the report until Richards' book comes out) which employ rent control legislation in an effort to provide "affordable housing" for the poor actually results in less affordable housing for the poor.

Continue reading "Rent control means less affordable housing for the poor "

Posted by Jay Lafayette

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive