Monday, December 22, 2008

Charity Begins At Home

Especially for many members of the left wing.......

December 21, 2008
Bleeding Heart Tightwads
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
This holiday season is a time to examine who’s been naughty and who’s been nice, but I’m unhappy with my findings. The problem is this: We liberals are personally stingy.

Liberals show tremendous compassion in pushing for generous government spending to help the neediest people at home and abroad. Yet when it comes to individual contributions to charitable causes, liberals are cheapskates.

Arthur Brooks, the author of a book on donors to charity, “Who Really Cares,” cites data that households headed by conservatives give 30 percent more to charity than households headed by liberals. A study by Google found an even greater disproportion: average annual contributions reported by conservatives were almost double those of liberals.

Other research has reached similar conclusions. The “generosity index” from the Catalogue for Philanthropy typically finds that red states are the most likely to give to nonprofits, while Northeastern states are least likely to do so. more

Sally Ann $600K Short Of Kettle Goal

1 comment:

The Skinny said...

you're absolutely right, charity does begin at home, and this can't be more important as we head into a recession. We have done what we can regularly, I believe the salvation army is up there on the list for organizations who deserve our support.

But you, in regards the conservatives thumping their chests based on a poll on how, -charitable- they are.

My parents, taught me it's not really charity when you boast about your contributions. It really does begin at home, and from the heart.

Somehow, this chest thumping by the conservatives, doesn't surprise me in the least.

Thump on my friend, thump on.

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive