Friday, July 27, 2007

Seems To Be An Opinion Held By Many

Personally I am of the opinion that someone has to do it but that can change depending whether I am the plaintiff or the defendant and the outcome of the action.

A top legal scholar exposes the corruption of his profession

Kate Fillion | Jul 26, 2007 | 4:10 pm EST

In this week's issue of Maclean's, Kate Fillion talks to ex-Bay Street lawyer Philip Slayton, author of Lawyers Gone Bad: Money, Sex and Madness in Canada's Legal Profession, about how lawyers became greedy, unprincipled enablers of the rich. In this excerpt, Slayton explains the ethics of sleeping with your client and tells his favourite lawyer joke. (Warning: Said joke is not legally obligated to make you laugh.)

Q: The lawyers in your book are almost as oversexed as the ones on TV. Is it ever okay to sleep with a client?

A: Various law societies have various answers that veer from zero tolerance to the Wild West. I don’t think anybody has a clear answer. My answer is, there’s a huge difference between a male lawyer taking advantage of a highly vulnerable woman and a lawyer who has as a client a highly competent general counsel of a major corporation well able to take care of herself. But if somebody asked me in the abstract for advice, I would say, don’t do it!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive