Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Why Is Extended Human Rights Legislation So Contentious?

Could it to have something to do with making band council members accountable to those they are elected to represent?

Tories to push controversial native rights bill

Updated Tue. Jul. 24 2007 5:47 PM ET

Canadian Press

OTTAWA -- Native leaders and opposition MPs are fuming over a Conservative push for contentious changes to human rights law.

The Tories have taken the rare step of recalling 12 MPs to Ottawa in mid-summer for what could be a steamy meeting Thursday of the Commons all-party aboriginal affairs committee. "It's definitely not sowing any good will," said NDP native-affairs critic and committee member Jean Crowder from her British Columbia riding.

"I can only speak for myself, but I can't imagine anybody else is any happier than I am with being recalled to Ottawa when we've got work at home to do."

At issue is a bill that would allow First Nation members to launch human-rights complaints against band councils or Ottawa. The Conservatives want to repeal a section of the Canadian Human Rights Act that has barred such complaints since the legislation was passed in 1977.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive