Saturday, October 20, 2007

I Don't Object To Paying For Value Received

But over the years I have seen services decrease in my neighborhood while surrounding neighborhoods still have services that I don't get, leaf pickup is a small example, and I see municipal workers getting jobs for life with very lucrative retirement packages, councilors voting themselves increases, grants given to "cultural" groups while we are in dire fiscal straits.

Council plans hindered by city's fiscal straits

Oct. 17
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's sad the tax proposals are even being debated. There is such wealth in this city – just look at the waterfront condos – and all these taxes ask is that we share some of it. Is it wrong for people who are buying million-dollar homes to contribute a tiny percentage of their purchase to ensure Toronto is liveable for all of us – including the homebuyers themselves?

One of the political right's great successes was the establishment of the idea that taxes – whatever their purpose – are evil. The notion is absurd. Toronto's new levies will foster things we all need: the city's climate change plan, a state-of-the-art light-rail network, and emergency services. Taxes aren't sinful; in a democracy they're the price of admission.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gideon Forman, Executive Director,

Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment, Toronto

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive