Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Are You Ready To Vote On Electoral Reform


Putting aside the bias of the columnist have you heard any of the party leaders pitch electoral reform, except for the odd columnist have you read or heard much from the media? Personally I find the whole explanation convoluted and I don't understand how I, as a voter and taxpayer, will benefit from the exercise. I am from the winner/loser camp and don't want to support the also-rans.

P.E.I. can teach Ontario about electoral reform
August 27, 2007

The people of Ontario will go to the polls in just over six weeks. But their most important decision on Oct. 10 will not be the person they elect as premier. Rather, it will be whether the system used to elect him should be fundamentally altered or not.

Though this rarely happens in Canada, the tiny province of Prince Edward Island might be able to help Ontarians in their pre-referendum deliberations.

Like P.E.I., Ontarians will be asked to consider moving from a first-past-the-post (FPTP) model to a mixed-member proportional (MMP) system, which would combine the FPTP model with a proportional representation system similar to that used in New Zealand.

Similarly, the referendum will require a 60 per cent "super majority" or threshold to pass – along with a majority of votes in at least 64 of the province's 111 districts.

The people and politicians of Ontario, however, may wish to pay attention to and even draw some key lessons from the P.E.I. experience. Indeed, Canada's smallest province actually opted against making Canadian political history in November 2005 by clearly rejecting meaningful electoral reform.

About the proposed changes to the election system in Ontario.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive