Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Sidewalk Ettiquette????

Move on the right, pass on the left. If we don't govern ourselves you know what the ultimate result will....the city will start and fund a sidewalk bureaucracy. Let's not forget Adam Vaughans sidewalk line up tax proposal.......

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

TORONTO — My introduction to sidewalk rage came a couple of years ago. I was walking along a sidewalk near Dupont and St. George in Toronto when I saw a jogger coming in the opposite direction, with a weighted backpack, furrowed brow and set jaw. He chose a route that headed straight for me. As he got closer, with no intention of slowing down, he barked, “Move.” When I halted in the middle of the sidewalk, he cursed and jostled me with his bellicose elbows.

Until recently, sidewalk etiquette wasn't an issue in Toronto. Urban sprawl made sure that our congestion was limited to the Gardiner and the Don Valley Parkway and that our mostly narrow sidewalks were sufficient for the number of people who used them.

But ever since the current condo boom began a decade ago, our downtown has been straining under the foot traffic – and so has our civility. As the city core gets more crowded, and adds more and more amenities to draw us out onto the streets, we need to adapt.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive