Friday, August 24, 2007

Bloc Needs A Shot In The Arm So They Take An Afganhistan Pill

Today party leaders bring up Afghanistan or Kyoto when they need to get some media attention and it is safe ground for them because the majority of Canadians are "ignorant" about what is happening.

"I've had enough"

A must-read, experience-based rant on the appalling ignorance of Canadians regarding the Afghan mission, by someone who's been there:

I've had enough. Consider this my rant against ignorance; my protest against agendas, half-truths, and lies. For almost two years I have been closely following the news from and about Afghanistan and it has been demoralizing to say the least. I spent a year in Kabul with the Strategic Advisory Team and watched the media only report the deaths our Forces suffered rather than the successes we (not just the SAT) achieved. I have watched "experts", editorialists, politicians, protesters, activists and pundits mangle facts, misread situations and push agendas. Most of what I have read and seen has been flawed to one degree or another. As a result many Canadians I have spoken to are wholly unaware of what we are doing there and why we are doing it. The debate has been so muddied by poor reporting and incomplete information that most people are stunned when they hear of our successes.

At the same time I have heard only reactive, ineffective whimpers from our establishment. Our government and DND in particular has done a poor job of getting the message out. Granted things are improving but you only have to look at the News Room on the DND website to see that the majority of news releases concerning Afghanistan concern the deaths and injuries we have suffered in Kandahar. In other words we are playing into the media's "if it bleeds, it leads" approach to coverage.

You really do need to read the whole thing.

Posted by Damian at 3:00

1 comment:

The Skinny said...

it seems to depend on who you talk to. Relying a soldiers account as the gospel 'because he was there man' is dodgy, and let's face it, there are plenty who come back and have the complete opposite to say. Is that the gospel truth too?

So who is playing politics here? Who is playing sell newspapers here?

right.

That said, I know I am very against the Iraq war. But, I am not sure where I stand on the Afghanistan one.

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive