Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Would Think Stating Facts Is A Positve Step

And I would like someone to deny the statements made by John Tory. At the same time I don't see either party doing anything that is going to get me excited and I will vote because it is my duty not because I see the conservatives drastically changing my life other than I don't have to look at the image of McGinty speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

Tory goes negative right away
August 29, 2007

With the election campaign still not formally under way, Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory is already going negative.

In a series of radio ads and a theatrical press conference this week, Tory directly attacked his Liberal counterpart, Premier Dalton McGuinty, by name. Tory accused McGuinty of:

Engaging in "deception" by making and then breaking a promise not to raise taxes.

Pursuing policies that "let criminals thumb their noses at the rest of us."

Playing "political games" with the electricity file and, in the process, endangering "the way we live, the way we work, and the quality of air we breathe."

Distributing taxpayers' money to "his friends" while short-changing autistic children, farmers and the health-care system.

Engaging in an "obscene" pre-election spending spree, totalling $26 billion.

As the Liberals pointed out in their response to this onslaught, Tory's rhetoric is at odds with his own previous statements that he would not be going negative.

"I will not be engaging in personal attacks," said Tory early in his mandate as PC leader. "I'm going to try to raise the bar in terms of the behaviour in politics."

Indeed, previous Conservative advertising in the run-up to the Oct. 10 election has emphasized the positive and Tory's own ideas.

Why the change in approach now? There are essentially two answers to this question:

First of all, the Conservatives are still running second in the polls, and while negative advertising is routinely deplored by the commentariat, the dirty little secret of politics is that it usually works.

Secondly, Tory and his party don't have much option because their own platform is too mushy to sustain a six-week campaign.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I lean to the right but I still have a heart and if I have a mission it is to respond to attacks on people not available to protect themselves and to point out the hypocrisy of the left at every opportunity.MY MAJOR GOAL IS HIGHLIGHT THE HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY OF THE LEFTISTS ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL. Last word: In the final analysis this blog is a relief valve for my rants/raves.

Blog Archive